A birding & cultural tour
Eco-regions and Ecosystems
- Atlantic Forest: sub-humid forest, gallery forest, bamboo forest.
- Humid Chaco: palm savannas, xerophytic scrub forest patches, grasslands, marshes, gallery forest.
- Dry Chaco: xerophytic, thorn scrub forest, salty lakes, thorn scrub savannas.
- Mesopotamian grasslands: grasslands and wetlands.
A first sight to this Tour
- 4 travelers: USD 2,800 per person
- 6 travelers: USD 2,500 per person
- 8 travelers: USD 2,300 per person
- +10 travelers: USD 1,900 per person
N°of participants: minimum 4; maximum 8 with one Guide.
- Asunción city
- Laguna Capitán and Central Chaco
- Filadelfia´s Reserve
- Neuland´s Reserve
- Fortín Toledo
- San Bernardino
- Yaguarón church
- San Ignacio Church
- Jesuit Ruins of Santísima Trinidad and Jesús de Tavarangué
- San Rafael National Park
- San Ignacio Mini
- Day 1:Participants arrive at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, 10 km from Asunción, lodging at Quinta Ykua Satí (dinner included).
- Day 2: Full day Asunción city tour: Jardín Botánico, Costanera, Cabildo, National Congress, Palacio de López, Barrio San Gerónimo, Palma, Panteón de los Héroes.
- Day 3: We will leave very early in direction to Laguna Capitán. We will watch fauna along the Route Transchaco and in the afternoon watch birds and wildlife at Laguna Capitán until nightfall.
Asunción to Laguna Capitán: 430 km (7 hours max.)
Accomodation: Loma Plata Inn Hotel.
- Day 4:We will spend the morning birding and wildlife watching at the salt lakes, arriving at Campo María and Chaco Lodge, where we will spend the rest of the day. We will see some of the Chaco endemics: Cream-backed Woodpecker, Crested Gallito, Scimitar-billed Woodcreeper, Chaco Earthcreeper, Cinereous Tyrant, Black-capped Warbling-Finch and Many-colored Chaco-Finch. Many waterbirds and shorebirds will definitively
increase our list during this day, with great possibilities to see White-faced Whistling Duck, Coscoroba Swan, up to thousands of Chilean Flamingos, Ringed and Brazilian Teal, Collared Plover, Black-necked Stilt, Lesser Yellowlegs, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, and many others.
Chaco Lodge to Filadelfia: 80 km (1 ½ hours max.)
Accomodation: Hotel Florida.
- Day 5:All morning birding at Filadelfia Reserve. These place, quite close to Filadelfia, will give us a chance to see some
species: Greater Rhea, White-bellied Nothura, Golden-green Woodpecker, Red-legged Seriema, Olive-crowned Crescentchest, Rufous-fronted and Little Thornbird, Greater-wagtail Tyrant, Masked Gnatcatcher, Blue-and-yellow Tanager, Golden-billed Saltator, Ultramarine Grosbeak, and others. During the afternoon, we will do a city tour, visiting Museums of Filadelfia. A night search while we travel to Neuland, will definitively add to our list one of our main targets, the Chaco Owl.
Filadelfia to Neuland: 50 km (1 hour max.)
Accomodation: Hotel Boquerón.
- Day 6: Bird and wildlife watching at Neuland´s reserve. Here we will have one of the best possibilities to see four of our more special Chaco endemics, so we are going to focus this day searching them: Quebracho Crested-Tinamou, the elusive and endangered Black-bodied Woodpecker, Black-legged Seriema and Spot-winged Falconet. We will have some of the best chance to see Lowland Tapir, Azara´s Fox, Chacoan Mara, Plains Vizcacha, Southern Three-banded Armadillo, Collared and White-lipped Peccary, and the special Chacoan Peccary, Azara´s Night Monkey and Puma. We may also find other commoner species, such as Red-billed Scithebill, Lark-like Brushrunner, Brown Cacholote, White-winged Becard, Hepatic Tanager and Orange-backed Troupial.
- Day 7:Early driving to Fortín Toledo, where one of the decisive battles of Chaco War (1932-1935) occurred. Visit to the Museum and trenches, and to Tagua Project (Chacoan Peccary captive breeding program). Before midday, we leave in direction to San Bernardino.
Neuland to Toledo: 60 km (1 hour max.)
Toledo to San Bernardino: 500 km (8 hours max.)
Accomodation: Hotel del Lago
- Day 8: A brief visit to town, leaving before midday in direction to Encarnación. Visit to Yaguarón and San Ignacio church in the way to Encarnación. Overnight at Hotel Tirol (30 min from Encarnación) for birding at the forest of the hotel. Optional visit to Jesuit Ruins of Santísima Trinidad at night for a “Light and sounds” show.
San Bernardino to Encarnación: 370 km (6 hours max.)
Accomodation: Hotel Tirol.
- Day 9: After a brief birding at the hotel´s forest, we will visit the Jesuit Ruins of Santísima Trinidad and Jesús de Tavarangüe. In the afternoon, we will depart in direction to San Rafael National Park, the richest bird area of the country, with more than 420 bird species on its list, and surpassing many Atlantic Forest sites of Brazil and Argentina.
Santísima Trinidad to San Rafael: 100 km (2 hours max.)
Accomodation: Rustic Lodge.
- Day 10: A morning walk at trails of San Rafael. Hopefully we will see many of other Atlantic Forest endemics, including Spot-winged Wood-Quail, Scale-throated Hermit, Plovercrest, White-throated Hummingbird, Buff-bellied Puffbird, Saffron Toucanet, White-spotted and White-browed Woodpecker, Ochre-collared Piculet, Large-tailed Antshrike, Dusky-tailed Antbird, Streak-capped Antwren, Rufous Gnateater, Speckle-breasted Antpitta, Southern Bristle-Tyrant, Gray-hooded Flycatcher, Drab-breasted Pigmy Tyrant, Russet-winged Spadebill, Greenish Schiffornis, Rufous-crowned Greenlet, and Blackish-blue Seedeater. We leave after midday in direction to Posadas, Agentina.
San Rafael to Posadas: 170 km (3 hours max.)
Accomodation: La Misión Posadas Hotel & Spa.
- Day 11: Visit to San Ignacio Mini Ruins until midday. Returning to Asunción after lunch, where our tour ends.
What is included in the tour fees?
- all accommodations on a sharing basis, from day 1 to 11 of the tour at hotels, lodges or other establishments of a reasonable standard (or best available in the area);
- all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) from day 1 (only dinner) to 11 (breakfast and lunch)
- drinking water and one soft drink/beer per meal;
- all ground transportation from first day to final day of tour;
- all costs of local guides;
- all excursions and activities mentioned in the itinerary unless specifically stated as optional in which case they will be charged for at cost with prior consent from participants;
- all entrance fees for reserves, parks, ruins, museums that are part of the itinerary;
What is not included in the tour fees?
- International airfare and any airport taxes;
- travel and medical insurance;
- visa, passport and vaccination costs;
- beverages over those stated as included;
- optional excursions as defined by the itinerary or excursions not included in the itinerary;
- Telephone calls, laundry and other items of a personal nature;
- Gratuities to Tour leader and local guides;
- Gratuities for hotel/restaurant staff, porters, drivers.