Eco-regions and Ecosystems
- Humid Chaco: palm savannas, xerophytic scrub forest patches, grasslands, marshes, gallery forest.
- Dry Chaco: xerophytic, thorn scrub forest, salty lakes, thorn scrub savannas.
- Day 1: We will leave very early (05:00 am) in direction to Laguna Capitán. Early birding at Benjamín Aceval, only 40 km of Asunción (1 hour approximately), where we will see many birds in ecosystems of Chaco Humid, including Plumbeous and Buff-necked Ibis, Black-collared Hawk, Golden-green and Pale-breasted Woodpeckers, Red-legged Seriema, Great-rufous Woodcreeper, Red-billed Scythebill, Purplish and Plush-crested Jays, Black-capped Donacobius, Scarlet-headed Blackbird and Crested Oropendola. Before midday we will continue our travel to Laguna Capitán, and in the afternoon watch birds and wildlife until nightfall. Overnight at Laguna Capitán or Loma Plata Inn Hotel.
Asunción to Laguna Capitán: 430 km (7 hours max.)
Scarlet-headed Blackbird at Benjamín Aceval
Option A. Laguna Capitán (rustic accommodation).
Option B. Loma Plata Inn Hotel.
There is Wi Fi conection at Laguna Capitán.
- Day 2:We will spend the morning birding and wildlife watching at the salt lakes, arriving at Campo María, where we will spend the rest of the day. We will see some of the Chaco endemics: Cream-backed Woodpecker, Crested Gallito, Scimitar-billed Woodcreeper, Chaco Earthcreeper, Cinereous Tyrant, Black-capped Warbling-Finch and Many-colored Chaco-Finch. Many waterbirds and shorebirds will definitively increase our list during this day, with great possibilities to see White-faced Whistling Duck, Coscoroba Swan, up to thousands of Chilean Flamingos, Ringed and Brazilian Teal, Collared Plover, Black-necked Stilt, Lesser Yellowlegs, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, and many others.
Lowland Tapir at Campo María lakes
Option A. Laguna Capitán to Campo María: 50 km (1 hour)
Option B. Loma Plata to Campo María : 80 km (1 ½ hours)
Overnight at Laguna Capitán (Option A) or Loma Plata Inn (Option B)
- Day 3:Morning birding at Chaco Lodge or Filadelfia Reserve (depending on bird activity of the last day, and climate conditions). Filadelfia Reserve will give us a chance to see some species: Greater Rhea, White-bellied Nothura, Golden-green Woodpecker, Black-legged Seriema, Olive-crowned Crescentchest, Rufous-fronted and Little Thornbird, Greater-wagtail Tyrant, Masked Gnatcatcher, Blue-and-yellow Tanager, Golden-billed Saltator, Ultramarine Grosbeak, and others. After lunch, we return to Asunción.
- Laguna Capitán to Chaco Lodge: 70 km (1 ½ hours)
- Loma Plata to Chaco Lodge: 90 km (1 ½ hours)
|Tour Price*||Expert Guide||Amateur Guide|
|Option A: Laguna Capitán Lodge||USD 1,100||USD 950|
|Option B: Loma Plata INN Hotel||USD 1,220||USD 1,050|
* Tour prices are based for two participants. Please ask for our discounts, in cases of more than two participants.
What is included in the tour fees?
- all accommodations on a sharing basis at hotels, lodges or other establishments of a reasonable standard (or best available in the area);
- all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) from day 1 (only dinner) to 3 (breakfast and lunch)
- drinking water and one soft drink/beer per meal;
- all ground transportation from first day to final day of tour;
- all costs of local guides;
- all excursions and activities mentioned in the itinerary unless specifically stated as optional in which case they will be charged for at cost with prior consent from participants;
- all entrance fees for reserves, parks, museums that are part of the itinerary;
What is not included in the tour fees?
- International airfare and any airport taxes;
- travel and medical insurance;
- visa, passport and vaccination costs;
- beverages over those stated as included;
- optional excursions as defined by the itinerary or excursions not included in the itinerary;
- Telephone calls, laundry and other items of a personal nature;
- Gratuities to Tour leader and local guides;
- Gratuities for hotel/restaurant staff, porters, drivers.