Mbaracayú Biosphere Reserve includes two of the most important ecorregions in the world: the savannah ecosystems of the Cerrado and the humid Atlantic Forest. These two habitats have high levels of biodiversity as well as very high levels of species endemism. Unfortunately, they are also amongst the most threatened.
Mbaracayú offers the chance of seeing endangered bird species such as White- winged Nightjar, Black-fronted Piping-Guan (Yacutinga), Bare-throated Bellbird, Marsh Seedeater, Chestnut Seedeater together with mammals such as Jaguar, Azara`s Agouti, Tayra and Maned Wolf.
- Day 1: Pick up from the hotel early in the morning. During the journey we will stop for bird watching in Arroyos y Esteros, an interesting grassland area that usually contains very high numbers of birds. We will arrive at Jejui Mi, the main station of Mbaracayú, during the afternoon and do a short walk along the nearest trail.
- Day 2: All-day birding and wildlife watching in the surrounds of Jejui Mí. Here there is an option of renting bicycles for any keen cyclists in the party. After midday, we will leave for Lagunitas, a very interesting marshland in the middle of Mbaracayú with clear water irrigated by small streams, bird watching here and the surrounding forest. This area provides an optional extra 2-hour boat trip. Then we return to to Jejui Mi looking for nocturnal birds and mammals on the way.
- Day 3: Early departure for Aguara Ñu, east of Mbaracayú, that has Cerrado. Birding and wildlife watching all day until nightfall at Aguara Ñu with the aim of seeing White-winged Nightjar.
- Day 4: All morning birding at Jejui Mi. After lunch we will return to Asunción.
Tour price per person: € 620 or US$ 700 (minimum three people)
Less than 3 people, the price per person is
Single supplement: € 110 or US$ 150.
The price for this tour includes:
- Pick up and return to the Hotel in Asunción
- Accomodation in double rooms
- All meals
- Guiding fees
Contact us for more information.