Two of the most important biodiversity hotspots in the world: the Cerrado and the Atlantic Forest
Price for 2 people: US$ 2,000 or € 1,770 (February to May 2015)
|14th to 20th April 2015
|20th to 26th May 2015||RESERVE NOW!|
Mbaracayú Biosphere Reserve includes two of the most important ecorregions in the world: the savannah ecosystems of the Cerrado and the humid Atlantic Forest. These two habitats have high levels of biodiversity as well as very high levels of species endemism. Unfortunately, they are also amongst the most threatened.
Mbaracayú offers the chance of seeing endangered bird species such as White-winged Nightjar, Black-fronted Piping-Guan (Yacutinga), Bare-throated Bellbird, Marsh Seedeater, Chestnut Seedeater together with mammals such as Jaguar, Azara`s Agouti, Tayra and Maned Wolf.
- Day 1: Participants arrive at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, 10 km from Asunción, lodging at Quinta Ykua Satí.
- Day 2: After breakfast we will leave for Mbaracayú. During the journey we will stop for bird watching in Arroyos y Esteros, an interesting grassland area that usually contains very high numbers of birds. We will arrive at Jejui Mi, the main station of Mbaracayú, during the afternoon and do a short walk along the nearest trail.
- Day 3: All-day birding and wildlife watching in the surrounds of Jejui Mí. Here there is an option of renting bicycles for any keen cyclists in the party.
- Day 4: We will leave very early for Lagunitas, a very interesting marshland in the middle of Mbaracayú with clear water irrigated by small streams, bird watching here and the surrounding forest. This area provides an optional extra 2-hour boat trip. Then we return to to Jejui Mi looking for nocturnal birds and mammals on the way.
- Day 5: Early departure for Aguara Ñu, east of Mbaracayú, that has Cerrado. Birding and wildlife watching all day until nightfall at Aguara Ñu with the aim of seeing White-winged Nightjar.
- Day 6: Visit to Salto Karapá, northeast of Mbaracayú, with its picturesque 40 m high waterfall surrounded by the pristine humid forest. Birding and wildlife watching at Karapá throughout the rest of the day. Return to Jejui Mí.
- Day 7: Continuing birding in the surrounds of Jejui Mí or an option to visit an indigenous Aché community. Here you can learn how to use a traditional bow and arrow or to buy a souvenir that reflects how they relate to the wildlife of the reserve. After lunch we will return to Asunción.
Tour price per person: € 975 or US$ 1,100 (minimum three people)
Less than 3 people, the price per person is
Single supplement: € 230 or US$ 300.
* Prices for tours on other dates are the same as posted here, depending on the number of people involved. If you are interested in other dates, please contact us so that we can look for other people interested in doing the same route on the dates you requested!
The price for this tour includes:
- Pick up and return to Silvio Pettirossi Airport
- Accomodation in double rooms
- All meals
- Guiding fees
Contact us for more information.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.