Richest biodiversity in Paraguay
Expected number of bird species for this tour: 160 to 200
San Rafael National Park is a 730 km2 reserve that includes the ecorregions of the Atlantic
Forest and Mesopotamian Grasslands. Over 416 bird species have been recorded in its
area, including 27 endangered and near-threatened species. It includes the highest
number of Atlantic Forest endemic birds in the country.
This trip gives you the opportunity to get to know Atlantic Forest endemics such as Saffron Toucanet, Southern Bristle-Tyrant and Creamy-bellied Gnatcatcher, as well as many grassland species such as Sharp-tailed Tyrant, Cock-tailed Tyrant and Saffron-cowled Blackbird.
At San Rafael we will stay in a comfortable cabin that allows us to enjoy the proximity of the surrounding forest. Enjoy some of our videos of San Rafael.
There are two options for this short trip:
Option 1) by car, leaving from Asunción or Encarnación;
Option 2) by airplane to Encarnación (leaving only on Fridays at 18:45 hs from Asunción)*.
- Day 1: Leaving Asunción or Encarnación after midday (option 1) or on Fridays at 18:45 hs (option 2).
- Day 2: We will spend these days bird and wildlife watching in Yataí, south of San Rafael: this is the base for the Pro Cosara conservation organisation. At night we will use playback, hoping to find Rusty-barred Owl, Tawny-browed Owl and Common Potoo.
- Day 3: We will visit the grasslands of Guyra Paraguay’s Estancia Kanguery in the mid-west of the park where we will spend the day observing grassland and wetlands birds.
- Day 4: We`ll spend the morning birding and wildlife watching on the perimeter of San Rafael. After midday we will leave for Asunción to arrive at night (option 1). Option 2: We´ll leave after midday to go to Hotel Tirol, where we can continue birding during the afternoon and spend the night. Flight from Encarnación to Asunción departures at 07:15 hs on Mondays.
Tour price per person: € 300 or US$ 410 (minimum five people)
Less than 5 people, the price per person is
* Option 2: Flight costs are not included in tour prices, which are estimated to cost US$ 300,00 round trip.
The price for this tour includes:
- Pick up and return to the Hotel in Asunción/Encarnación
- Accomodation in double rooms
- All meals
- Guiding fees
Single supplement: € 50 or US$ 65
Contact us for more information.