Humid and Dry Chaco
Price for 2 people: US$ 3,200 or € 2,800
The Great Chaco offers impressive wildlife, with good chance of seeing some of South America’s charismatic big mammals like jaguars, pumas and tapirs. It also hosts reptiles and birds in abundance, many of which are restricted to this ecoregion. Besides its fauna, you will enjoy a unique landscape with salt lakes that hold great concentrations of water birds on migration and the dunes of Médanos del Chaco National Park with its arid country vegetation and the savannahs of the Humid Chaco.
This tour will give you a chance to see Chaco endemic birds like Quebracho Crested-Tinamou, Black-legged Seriema, Black-bodied Woodpecker and Scimitar-billed Woodcreeper. Lowland Tapir, Puma, Giant Anteater, Southern Three-banded Armadillo and Chacoan Peccary are amongst the mammals we may encounter: the last of these was presumed extinct when it was described from fossils in 1930. It came as a surprise when it was rediscovered in 1972, to become the (then) third and largest peccary species known! Today, the Paraguayan Chaco holds the main population of this species.
- Day 0: Participants arrive at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, 10 km from Asunción, lodging at Quinta Ykua Satí.
- Day 1: We will leave very early in direction to Costa Esmeralda. Birding and wildlife watching in the Humid Chaco of Costa Esmeralda, where we would find a mix between waterbirds of the marshes, and a great number of passerines of the savannahs and forest.
- Day 2: After midday we will leave for Laguna Capitán. We will watch fauna along the Route Transchaco and in the afternoon watch birds and wildlife at Laguna Capitán until nightfall.
- Day 3: We will spend the morning birding and wildlife watching at the salt lakes, arriving at Campo María where we will spend the rest of the day.
- Day 4: We spend the day at Chaco Lodge, birding and wildlife watching along the perimeter of the lake and in dry forest.
- Day 5: Bird and wildlife watching at Teniente Enciso National Park.
- Day 6: We´ll leave early to visit Médanos del Chaco National Park and return to Teniente Enciso during the afternoon.
- Day 7: Spend the day at Estancia Salazar Nature Reserve.
- Day 8: We´ll enjoy the morning wildlife watching at Estancia Salazar NR, and in the afternoon we will return to Asunción.
Tour price per person: € 1,060 or US$ 1,200 (minimum five people)
Less than 5 people, the price per person is
*Prices for tours on other dates are the same as posted here, depending on the number of people involved. If you are interested in other dates, please contact us so that we can look for other people interested in doing the same route on the dates you requested!
The price for this tour includes:
- Pick up and return to Silvio Pettirossi Airport
- Accomodation in double rooms
- All meals
- Guiding fees
Contact us for more information.