Richest biodiversity in Paraguay
San Rafael National Park is a 730 km2 reserve that includes the ecorregions of the Atlantic
Forest and Mesopotamian Grasslands. Over 416 bird species have been recorded in its
area, including 27 endangered and near-threatened species. It includes the highest
number of Atlantic Forest endemic birds in the country.
Price for 2 people: US$ 2,200 or € 2,020
This trip gives you the opportunity to get to know Atlantic Forest endemics such as Saffron Toucanet, Southern Bristle-Tyrant and Creamy-bellied Gnatcatcher, as well as many grassland species such as Sharp-tailed Tyrant, Cock-tailed Tyrant and Saffron-cowled Blackbird.
On the first morning of the trip during the journey from Asunción to San Rafael (about six hours long), we will stop at Ybicuí National Park.
At San Rafael we will stay in a comfortable cabin that allows us to enjoy the proximity of the surrounding forest.
- Day 0: Participants arrive at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, 10 km from Asunción, lodging at Quinta Ykua Satí.
- Day 1: Early departure for Ybicuí National Park, where we will spend the day birding and watching wildlife. Night at Ybicuí town.
- Day 2: Continue birding in the morning, departing for San Rafael before noon. We arrive in the late afternoon so as to take advantage of the afternoon peak in bird activity.
- Day 3 – 4: We will spend these days bird and wildlife watching at Yataí, south of San Rafael: this is the base for the Pro Cosara conservation organisation. At night we will use playback, hoping to find Rusty-barred Owl, Black-banded Owl and Common Potoo.
- Day 5: We will visit the grasslands of Guyra Paraguay’s Estancia Kanguery in the mid-west of the park where we will spend the day observing grassland and wetlands birds.
- Day 6: Early in the morning we will leave for Arroyo Takuapy, east of San Rafael. This is an area of mature forest with tall trees which hosts a scenic 12 m waterfall.
- Day 7: We`ll spend the morning birding and wildlife watching on the perimeter of San Rafael. After midday we will leave for Asunción to arrive at night where we will lodge in Quinta Ykua Satí once more.
Tour price per person: € 990 or US$ 1,050 (minimum five people)
Less than 5 people, the price per person is
Single supplement: € 230 or US$ 300.
*Prices for tours on other dates are the same as posted here, depending on the number of people involved. If you are interested in other dates, please contact us so that we can look for other people interested in doing the same route on the dates you requested!
The price for this tour includes:
- Pick up and return to Silvio Pettirossi Airport
- Accomodation in double rooms
- All meals
- Guiding fees
Contact us for more information.